Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Epiphany Number One!!!


If any of you read my email about having the energy for this I now know the answer is “Yes!”. Oh man, God has been showing me some wonderful things. Like that I need serious help when it comes to patience...and that’s just the beginning!!! You know when I look back into last year and my “blessing of a class” at Liberty I remember feeling so much more at ease and patient with my kids for the first time in my teaching career. Granted it was my third year but for the longest time I questioned why things were so much easier and wondered when it was all going to BLOW UP! Optimistic, I know! But it never did, and I now can see that if God hadn’t started to prepare me last year for what I am being asked to do this year, I wouldn’t be ready for these kids here at ABCCA or this task. God won’t give me more than I can handle and He leads me in baby steps to where He wants me to go. On that journey there are speed bumps and potholes, which I’m sure will continue, but He has allowed for me to arrive to a place where I honestly never thought I would be. Teaching in Africa was always a thought or idea but never on the pursuance of becoming a reality. Every now and then I stop and think, “I’m in Africa….How the heck did I get here?”. I’ve now come to the realization that I am here because this is where God wants me to be.
One of the greatest challenges since being here has been re-directing the glory. Last night I read Matthew 5:16, “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and PRAISE YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN.” Everyone likes affirmation. I’m not going to lie, I have basked in and enjoyed every bit of praise and encouragement thrown my way. However, in all honesty, saying “yes” to Africa was the greatest of my accomplishments in this whole process and even that was spurred on by the Man Upstairs. Any light that might be shinning from me is not because of me, any good deed that has happened is not because of me. Therefore the praise needs to continue past me towards God in gratefulness and thanksgiving for the opportunity and blessings that have and will continue to come of this. When I look at it that way I then feel so blessed and honored to be chosen for the task. I’m free from the pressure I put on myself and I can step out in confidence knowing that God is behind me 100%.
Now, just because I’ve had this enlightening moment, please don’t think I’ve become the lady version of Apostle Paul and am wandering throughout Africa fearlessly preaching the Word of God. Baby steps remember?! Actually, I really need you to save these thoughts and email them back to me in a month or so. Because I’m human, and a forgetful one at that, I know this is something I will need reminding of and need accountability for! You can also pray that these thoughts would do more than just sit in my head but permeate in my heart forever. God is revealing Himself and my purpose for being here as I go along. Please continue to pray for me as I have the opportunity to build friendships with those around me, especially the students here on ABC’s campus! Also continue to pray for my students and the relationships I’m building with them!!!

5 comments:

Elisa said...

Chelle Belle! I love you so much... I am excited to read about your many adventures overseas! Hugs from a friend /cousin in OR!

mo said...

I'm excited to see... or read, about all the things that God is doing in and through you! I'm so proud of you and your courage! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to hearing/reading/seeing more of you and how God will use you and change you while in Malawi. What an adventure you've embarked on! Go, girl!

Phil and Karen said...

Michelle, Krisandra and I are praying for you, Karen Sanchez

Unknown said...

Our family is continuing to pray for you and your time in Africa! God Bless, Ricy and Brandi Huff